| Province & Villages - Granada - Loja
the old Muslim town known as Medina Lawsa, was taken by the Christians
in 1486 and named "flower among thorns" by Queen Isabella
the Catholic. Its Islamic heritage can be felt whilst wandering in
the quarter of the Alcazaba or fortress. The Christians erected grandiose
temples and civil buildings, and, in the 19th century, the Narváez
family embilleshed the town with palaces and gardens.
fountain with 25 spouts
In Loja there are numerous springs such as the one which feeds this
fountain, also called Fuente de la Mora or fountain of the Moorish
Antigua Casa de Cabildos
This is a beautiful example of the civil architecture of the 16th
century. It is located on the Plaza de la Constitucion and currently
houses the public library.
Alcazaba and Caserón de los Alcaides Cristianos
It is a 10th century fortified area on a hill in the heart of Loja,
which the Christians used to build the Renaissance Caserón
de los Alcaides Cristianos inside.