In 1540 the Turks landed in Puente Mayorga during a raid, destroying more than 200 barrels containing eighteen thousand gallons of wine which belonged to the church tithe. They also slaughtered 300 pigs which were grazing in the surrounding fields. There was already a settlement here at the time. Until the 1930's the village had its own customs office office and could have been the natural harbour for the Bay of Algeciras.
It was part of the exiting coastal defence system which was operational from the 15th until the 19th century. The watchtower here may have been built at the end of the 15th century or at the beginning of the 16th century and was used as a shelter for travellers, cattle herdsmen and wood collectors from the area. In 1796 it had a cannon and a company of guards. The present village was developed around a fish village.