|Click on the image for a large map
Located in the region of La Janda, Paterna de Rivera is a city of Cadiz where have been found numerous remains of Roman and Arabic times; it was named after the ancient manor that dominated the territory after the Christian conquest. The village came to achieve independence of Alcala de los Azules (of which it depended) in 1825.
The main monuments that have stood the test of time are mostly religious buildings from the Christian period and some houses like the one of Don Perafan, dating from the seventeenth century.
Paterna is a municipality traditionally engaged in agriculture especially noted for their livestock and their breeding of Hispanic Arabian horses.